Monday, July 26, 2010

Why Photographers charge so much?

Why do photographers charge so much?
Why do wedding photographers charge so much?

So Why is it that professional photographers charge so much?

1. Well for one thing a photographer pays about twenty five (25) % of the total revenue charged to the bridal party in federal and state taxes. So one quarter of the total price goes to taxes.

2. The next thing is the camera and lenses and photography equipment costs are very high. One lens is over five hundred ($500) dollars and one camera is over one ($1,000) thousand dollars. I have at least $10,000 invested in photography equipment alone, and this is a guess and it could be higher. I carry backup redundant equipment in case of camera failure. I cannot afford to lose wedding pictures due to a camera that quits working. I also need new camera and lighting equipment and must purchase it for my clients.

3. The photo-editing program called Photoshop costs about $800 dollars and the computer used to run the program is no run of the mill average system. My computer was around $1,500 and I must have two of them as a back up for the customers pictures in case one system crashes.

4. After the hours spent on the wedding pictures the photographer will spend time editing the pictures. If I spend two (2) hours taking one (1) hundred pictures at a wedding – Then I get to edit the pictures. If I spend ten (10) minutes on each picture then I will have one (1,000) thousand minutes invested in digitally enhancing or editing the pictures. If you take 1,000 minutes and divide this by 60 minutes for an hour – then I shall spend an additional 16.6 hours editing the digital images for the clients for your 2 hour wedding shoot.

Wow - Maybe I need to charge more money...?

No comments: