Monday, July 26, 2010

Q and A




Q. When do you need a contract and how much do you ask for to hold or book a date?

A. I ask for 50% of the total fee as a retainer to hold the date for photography services. I work on a first come - first served basis. If someone sends me a check and an agreement (contract) then I take the date off of my calender. So there is no real answer to the time question of when I need an agreement contract. Whoever books me gets my services for the date.

Q. How many pictures can I expect for an event? Like a wedding or portrait shoot?

A. I usually average 100+ pictures an hour. I take many pictures of the same poses - like with group pictures as someone always blinks, so I overshoot the weddings for this reason. I may take 5 pictures of your ring exchange and choose the best 1-2 to edit for this reason. I guarantee 50 edited pictures per hour booked. 2 hours is 100 edited (digitally enhanced images) pictures.

Q. Do I guarantee my work?

A. Normally - the answer is yes I do.

Q. I, as a photographer, have 3 questions for you to ask your pastor and / or church.
(if your having a wedding)

Is your priest/rabbi/pastor and / or church going to allow me to use a flash for indoor lighting during the ceremony?

Is your pastor / church going to make me stand in the back of the building, in the dark, during the ceremony?

Will I be allowed free movement during the wedding ceremony to get the angles I need for the proper pictures of your marriage ceremony?

If the above answers are no - then I can not guarantee anything.

I have never had this happen to me personally - but I know of photographers that this has happened to. No photographer can get great pictures under these conditions. If I am not allowed to take the pictures I need and have difficulty with the conditions, then I would prefer not to do the photography shoot or job.

Why waste time, yours and mine, taking poor pictures and you are unhappy with them. Under these conditions, I am sure a court would order a refund and this would not be due to my neglect - but would be the fault of the pastor or church. Yet I would bear the loss of time and reputation.
Please let me know the conditions that the pastor allows photography in their wedding ceremony or church.

I would always be willing to show you my print portfolio to preview...

I will be happy to allow you to review my work prior to delivery and choose between your pictures or a 50% refund.

Refunds:

I have question for you

If I deliver a CD with the digital negatives and then a photography client makes a dozen copies of the CD and makes 1,000 prints, what is my recourse if they want a refund? Am I supposed to issue a refund and give the pictures for free?

Photographers that offer refunds make you PAY PER PRINT and NEVER give you the DIGITAL NEGATIVES.

I am sure you have priced other photographers and the per print charges add a minimum of 500-700 to the hourly rate for just 100 4 X 6 prints and they never give you the negatives.

I will let you review the pictures as I take them on my on camera viewer.
I can also allow you to view the pictures on my computer, prior to my giving them to you, to see if you want a refund or the CD of your wedding pictures. I think that this is fair to us both.
If I am unable to deliver to deliver my work - then yes I do guarantee a refund.

Q. Is your lighting setup time included as part of my 3 total hours where it would take away from "my" photo opportunity time, or is the setup separate and not included as part of my contracted time? For example, if I requested a 6:00 pm start time, would you begin setting up at 6pm and not start shooting until you have finished setup at 6:30? Or would you come earlier to setup so we can begin at 6 p.m.?

A. I always come early to set up and YOU give me the time to start - So the answer is the set up time is not billed. You get 3 hours of pictures, not 2 1/2.

Q. What does the budget package include for prints?

A. The budget package is a CD only with the digital negatives on it and you are free to make unlimited prints at the photolab of your choice. There is minor editing done with this budget package.

Q. Do you have someone to help and assist you in taking pictures, I have alot of guests?

A. The lighting assistant is not always a professional photographer, but for the reception dinner of the guests only - the pictures that they take are decent and he can take many shots with my back-up camera. I also supply the same duplicate coverage of guests, but I concentrate primarily on the bridal party and immediate family primarily. The lighting assistant can take decent pictures of your guests. The photographers that charge per print - know that you will not be spending $5-7 a print for a picture of your guests at a table having dinner. So many photographers will not waste their time taking alot of guest pictures. We do cover your whole wedding and reception dinner and take pictures of all of your guests, friends and family, period...!

Q. What do you wear to weddings? I interviewed a photographer yesterday who wears shorts to summer weddings and I thought that was strange, so I have to ask I guess :)

A. I understand - I have photographed and seen formal tux weddings where the DJ or videographer wore jeans and a t-shirt. I wear black slacks and a suit jacket, I dress in an appropriate manner always. If you require my attendance in special attire - just give me the name of your tailor for a fitting, at your expense.

Q. Do you take continuing education classes on photography?

A. I had to actually go back to school and learn photoediting with the computer (it is actually fun with what can be done :) with the computer) also my darkroom experience is rapidly becoming obsolete...! I learned a program called photoshop and it is the photography and graphic arts studio standard for editing or digitally enhancing digital images.

Q. What packages do you offer?

A. I have a 2 hour budget wedding photography package with no prints for 2 hours of coverage for $500-600 for a CD with the digital negatives. This package includes the wedding officiant / clergy that assists me with the setup and lighting prior and after the ceremony. You get the digital negatives for prints and you get to make your own unlimited copies of prints. Extra hours for the budget package are $150 each and I bring a lighting assistant at no extra charge. This package is most popular for beach and budget weddings.

No comments: